Benchmarking takes the raw data of how much energy and water a building uses, and normalizes it by building size (and more), so that you can get apples-to-apples comparisons of how buildings perform.
The big take-aways include:
- master-metered buildings saved energy and water!
- benchmarking multifamily buildings at scale is possible (we really weren’t sure when we started)
- hands-on support, delivered by a consistent account manager, made the benchmarking valuable to participants
- owners used it for much more than just saving energy and water.
- developed outreach materials
- traveled CenterPoint and Xcel territory doing outreach, in person and by phone
- created tools – checklists, worksheets, tips – to drive energy- and water-saving action
- worked with Xcel to get data access
- met with participants regularly in person and by phone to help them make use of their data
- more I’ve forgotten over the years.
It’s exciting to finally be able to share what we learned!